Public Outreach

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Edited Dec 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM

This discussion is being started by Kevin Boyle, President of DevTreks. My Board of Directors asked me to look into getting more public involvement in DevTreks now that it's moved out of beta testing. Hence this discussion.

The intent of this discussion is to find out how this Discussion Feature works and to start some efforts at public outreach. Keep in mind, I'm DevTreks software developer and I can get quite absorbed in the next release. But I'll try to increase our efforts at public interaction. So let's see how this works.

Please let me know of any issues you have with DevTreks. To start, here's some topics:

1. Should the source code by released 'free' to the public?

2. Is it reasonable to expect people to be able to keep deployed versions of DevTreks up to date with our monthly releases? One problem is that when new calculators and analyzers get built, the content of deployed databases have to be independently updated. The alternative is to rely on DevTreks as "the" Internet host. We don't have the resources to be a software developer and an Internet host. So alternatives must be investigated.

3. Should the project be opened up to additional software developers? If so, what's the best way to ensure a high quality product and involve interested developers?

Coordinator
Dec 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I had some time to think about these issues while building the current release (Version 1.1.5). The results:

1. The source code is available for "free" to project participants. That will work for now.

2. No. I don't see a good way to keep deployed versions up to data with new releases. The current release is a good example. Dozens of new stylesheets were added to the database in this release. That made all existing deployed databases obsolete. Internet hosts will need to be project participants.

3. DevTreks takes the long view. If the product becomes indispensable (i.e. because governments have to account for costs and benefits), software developers won't be hard to find. The long view is to continue product development so that it does become indispensable.